Nearly 50% of Boone county is farmland.
Our landscapes, clean streams, and fertile soils create an environment well-suited for many forms of agriculture. Small family farms are an important part of our community, contributing to the economic stability and well-being of Boone County residents.
At BCCDKY, we work directly with farmers by providing technical and financial support to ensure their natural resources are protected. To learn more about what we do, visit our services page or give us a call!
The State of Boone County Agriculture
Each year, the Boone County Farm Tour highlights several of our finest working and historic farms. This self-guided tour offers a unique opportunity to learn about one of our most important industries. It's fun for all ages!
There is a wide variety of agricultural land use types in Boone County. Here are the leading farm types:
- Cropland: Hay, tobacco, fruits, and vegetables
- Animal production: beef and dairy cattle, horses, goats, and poultry
- Nurseries: greenhouses, trees, and floriculture
Five reasons why we love our local farmers:
- Economic support for rural communities
- Protection of natural resources
- Improvement of public health
- Preservation of culture
- Food for America's future
To learn more, contact our local Farm Service Agent.