What is all the buzz about recycling?

Recycling (v) - to treat or process (used or waste materials) so as to make suitable for reuse; to alter or adapt for new use without changing the essential form or nature of; to use again in the original form; to undergo reuse or renewal or be subject for further use or activity.


Recycling is not only easy, it helps our community!

How? Recycling our unwanted materials reduces our landfills, preserves our natural resources, improves our economy, saves energy, reduces greenhouse gas emissions, and MORE.

However, Boone County cannot recycle everything. Be sure to know what is recyclable and what is not before doing your good deed!


Why don't people recycle?

  • Recycling options aren't easily accessible

  • Too time-consuming

  • Not sure what is recyclable

  • Cost

  • "I forget to do it"

  • No space in home

  • "It doesn't make a difference."*

*Yes it does!!!


How do I recycle?...

plastic bottle


Plastics 1 & 2 with a spout can be readily recycled in Boone County Recycling Bins. Other plastics (3, 4, 5, 6, & 7) are not yet accepted through Rumpke. Plastic bags (4) are, however, accepted at all local Kroger, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Remke locations. Accepted examples: water bottles, pop bottles, detergent bottles, and shampoo bottles. Make sure you remove the bottle caps.

p types


Food and beverage glass containers is accepted in Boone County Recycling Bins. Make sure you remove the lid and rinse before recycling. If glass is already broken, be careful in transporting! Accepted examples: mason jars, beer bottles, vases, and pitchers.

glass bottles

Aluminum & Steel Cans

Food and beverage metal containers are accepted in Boone County Recycling Bins. This includes metal lids! Please rinse before recycling. Accepted examples: pop cans, soup cans, pet food cans, and aerosol containers with the lid off. 

cat food


Thick cardboard with ridges is accepted in Boone County Recycling Bins. They must be dry, flattened, and grease-free. No pizza boxes! Please remove any wax liners before recycling. Accepted examples: cardboard boxes and cut-outs. 

Back Camera


Mixed paper is accepted in Boone County Recycling Bins. Please remove any plastic from the paper. Mixed paper includes both regular copy paper and very thin cardboard. Accepted examples: copy paper, cereal boxes, junk mail, magazines, towel rolls, paper grocery bags, and books. No thermal paper (receipts)!


Prescription/OTC Drugs

Prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs are accepted by the Boone County Sheriff's Department.


Gasoline is accepted at Boone County Public Works. Please call 859-334-3629 for details.

Light Bulbs

Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) can be taken to Lowes and Home Depot. Please do not throw CFLs in the trash.

Household Cleaners

Household cleaners are not readily accepted in Boone County Recycling programs. Reach out to family, neighbors, friends, and Facebook before disposing. Because most household cleaners are water-soluble, they can be disposed by mixing with water and poured down the drain. Do not mix household cleaners. If you have a septic system, refrain from doing this.


Paint is not readily accepted in Boone County Recycling programs. Reach out to family, neighbors, friends, and Facebook before disposing. To dispose, you must solidify it first. To solidify in a ventilated area, remove the lid and add cat litter. Once it reaches an oatmeal texture, let it dry out and dispose with regular trash.


Auto batteries are accepted at Boone County Public Works Department and most retailers that sell them. Rechargable batteries are accepted at Boone County Public Works, City of Florence Public Works, Walton City Building, and Union City Building. Please do not throw batteries in the trash. Call 1-877-2-Recycle for more information.


Electronics (cell phones, TVs, computers, etc.) are accepted at several facilities. Click here to learn more! 

Packing Peanuts

Packing Peanuts are accepted in two places in Boone County: Micro Wizard in Union (1-888-693-3729) and the UPS Store in Florence (859-746-1182).


Antifreeze can be taken to Kenton County Public Works. This is open to any Northern Kentucky resident, with a 5-gallon limit.

Propane Tanks

Propane tanks are accepted at Blue Rhino stores. During cleanups, Boone County Public Works will also accept them.


Pesticides are accepted by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture (Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection). This is free by calling 1-800-205-6543.

Pill Bottles

Pill bottles are accepted (within guidelines) to Matthew 25 Ministries in Cincinnati, OH. Please read over the guidelines carefully before sending to them!